I Can Quilt N’ Sew – IL
A State-Wide Youth Quilting Contest & Mentoring Initiative
Promoting the art of quilting and sewing while fostering interaction, communication and mentoring between the youth and adults of Illinois.
It’s as easy as 1 – 2 – 3!
Use the form below to Register
no later than August 15th, 2019
Email us your 200 word progress report
Email us your final report
no later than September 20th, 2019
Keep scrolling for further instructions below
All selected finalists will receive great prizes from our generous contest sponsors. All finalists are also eligible to be voted the Viewers Choice Award at the Decatur Guild Quilt Festival and receive a special grand prize!
2019 ILLINOIS REGISTRATION
All youth are invited to participate and register for the I Can Quilt ‘n Sew! – IL, A State-Wide Youth Quilt Contest & mentoring initiative and need not be affiliated with or be a member of 4-H.
Registration is free!
- Contestant Youth Divisions are 8-10, 11-13, 14-16, and 17-19 years of age as of January 1, 2019.
- Contestants will construct and submit one (1) original quilt/sewing project for the I Can Quilt ‘n Sew! IL Competition
- Original quilts/sewing projects will be judged based on the contestant’s interpretation of the theme:
- “Stars n’ Stripes: What do you see?”
- Each entered, finished and original quilt/sewing project can be no larger than 50” x 50”
- Contestants will register at ICanQuiltnSew.com beginning May 31, 2019 through August 15, 2019
- Each contestant will submit a 200 word Initial Progress Report Essay by email to: ICanQuiltnSew-IL@sewverysmooth.com no later than August 25, 2019. The Progress Report Essay must be written by the contestant, explaining their quilt/sewing construction plans and include a picture of them working on their quilt/sewing project with their adult mentor, parent or 4-H Leader.
- Contestants will submit a 200 word Final Report Essay and photo of them holding their finished quilt/sewing project no later than September 20, 2019 by email to: ICanQuiltnSew-IL@sewverysmooth.com
- Contestants will receive an I Can Quilt ‘n Sew! – IL Contest Completion Certificate, a 10” Ideal Seam Guide ($20 value) as prizes for meeting all posted deadlines and submitting the Final Report Essay
- Five (5) Grand Finalists in each youth division will be selected from the submitted Contestant Final Report Essays and finished quilt/sewing project photos then notified by September 25, 2019 by the I Can Quilt ‘n Sew! – IL Contest Committee.
- All Grand Finalists will be given instructions how and where to submit their finished quilt/sewing project on September 28, 2019. All Grand Finalists meeting that deadline will have their quilt/sewing project displayed at the Illini Country Stitchers Quilt Show: “Celebrating the Quilt” and be eligible for the Viewer’s Choice Award, October 5-6 at the Savoy Recreation Center in Savoy, IL. June 9th at West Side Middle School. All Grand Finalist will receive additional prizes donated by the I Can Quilt ‘n Sew! – IL Contest Sponsors.
- Grand Finalists do not have to be present to win.