I Can Quilt N’ Sew – IL
A State-Wide Youth Quilting Contest & Mentoring Initiative
Promoting the art of quilting and sewing while fostering interaction, communication and mentoring between the youth and adults of Illinois.
It’s as easy as 1 – 2 – 3!
Use the form below to Register
no later than May 24th, 2019
Email us your 200 word progress report
Email us your final report
no later than June 1th, 2018
Keep scrolling for further instructions below
All selected finalists will receive great prizes from our generous contest sponsors. All finalists are also eligible to be voted the Viewers Choice Award at the Decatur Guild Quilt Festival and receive a special grand prize!
2019 ILLINOIS REGISTRATION
All youth are invited to participate and register for the I Can Quilt ‘n Sew! – IL, A State-Wide 4-H/Youth Quilt Contest and need not be affiliated with or be a member of 4-H.
Registration is free!
- Contestant Youth Divisions are 8-10, 11-13, 14-16, and 17-19 years of age as of January 1, 2019.
- Contestants will construct and submit one (1) original quilt for the I Can Quilt ‘n Sew! IL Competition
- Original quilts will be judged based on the contestant’s interpretation of the theme:
- “Stars n’ Stripes: What do you see?”
- Each entered, finished and original quilt can be no larger than 50” x 50” or no smaller than 24” x 24”
- Contestants will register at ICanQuiltnSew.com on the Illinois registration page, beginning March 1, 2019 through May 15, 2018
- Each contestant will submit a 200 word Initial Progress Report Essay by email to: ICanQuiltnSew-IL@sewverysmooth.com no later than May 24, 2019. The Progress Report Essay must be written by the contestant, explaining their quilt construction plans and include a picture of them working on their quilt/garment with their adult mentor, parent or Leader.
- Contestants will submit a 200 word Final Report Essay and photo of them holding their finished quilt no later than June 1, 2019 by email to: ICanQuiltnSew-IL@sewverysmooth.com
- Contestants will receive an I Can Quilt ‘n Sew! – IL Contest Completion Certificate, a 10” Ideal Seam Guide ($20 value) as prizes for meeting all posted deadlines and submitting the Final Report Essay
- Five (5) Grand Finalists in each youth division will be selected from the submitted Contestant Final Report Essays and finished quilt photos then notified by June 6, 2019 by the I Can Quilt ‘n Sew! – IL Contest Committee.
- All Grand Finalists will be given instructions how and where to submit their finished quilt to the Quilt from the Heart Quilt Show on June 8. All Grand Finalist quilts must be submitted and arrive no later than June 8, 2019. All Grand Finalists meeting that deadline will have their quilts displayed at the Quilt from the Heart Quilt Show and be eligible for the Viewer’s Choice Award, June 9th at West Side Middle School. All Grand Finalist will receive additional prizes donated by the I Can Quilt ‘n Sew! – IL Contest Sponsors.
- Grand Finalists do not have to be present to win but their finished project does.